Thursday, February 17, 2011

State of the House: Part 1

So as you know, we moved.  We started this move on January 22nd and are still not yet done.  For a visual, the house currently looks something like this:
 

Family room

Living room

Living room

Except worse.  We now have every piece of clothing we own laying across all of the above surfaces. 

You see, we are in the process of rebuilding closets in order to create more useful space for storage.  So instead of one hanging rod, we have built-in shelving units and double rods in all 3 closets.  The end result will be glorious.  We can see it more and more everyday as progress is made.

We are also painting.  Every wall, door, cabinet and all the trim.  The house was built in 1985 and although it has been painted/updated by previous owners, it still has a very heavy feel (notice the cabernet-colored wall in the family room pic above?).  We are painting the trim and doors white, walls will be shades of taupe-y gray (minus the baby's room which will be pink!), and cabinets will be a steely brown.  Here's an idea of what we're choosing:





And for a reference, I drew out the rough floorplan in Excel (what else would you expect from this analytics geek?):



I have some before/after shots that I'll work on posting this week. Fingers crossed we can start to unpack some things this next weekend! My nesting instincts are in full effect...12 weeks until our sweet girl is due and I have a feeling she's not going to wait the full time. So I'm banking on more like 9-10 weeks as the deadline to get everything situated/organized. Which sounds like a good amount of time, but to this mama? I just feel the days melting away. So here's hoping I don't drive myself, my mom (only the best interior designer out there!), or our poor contractor crazy.

4 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Oh, this post made me hyperventilate a little! It sounds like you have everything under control, but I know that I would have my freak-out moments if I were in your shoes :-) Looking beyond the stuff in the photos, it looks like a great house. I think that it's so exciting to be in a place where you can choose your own colors and make renovations (can you tell that I'm tired of living in a rental, no matter how nice it is?). And I love that you made your own floorplan - that is so something that I would do!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

You've got plenty of time love! You'll get it done and it will look great. I can't wait to see what you do with the place!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see those closets! The paint colors you've chosen are fantastic. Happy new house!

cozystyle.cozyeggdesigns.com

Summer said...

Hi,
I just found your blog from Jessica who did your bloggy makeover! She is fabulous and so is your makeover! Love the design! Congrats on your new home and your new baby girl to be! How exciting! Those closets sound like they are gonna be fantastic in everyway you will have to post pics when it is all finished! I love the wall colors you have chosen so nice!

I'm your newest follower cant wait to read more

xoxo